Re-Entry Permit Lawyer in San Jose

Book a Consultation
100% Secure & Confidential
100+ Reviews

Do not lose your lawful status in the United States. Work with a lawyer in San Jose to obtain a re-entry permit. Attorney Medya Ansari can help you secure your travel document. Contact us for legal advice and representation in your case.

Help for Re-Entry Permits

RE-ENTRY-PERMIT-LAWYER-SAN-JOSEA re-entry permit lawyer can help you travel for a prolonged absence from the U.S. while preserving your lawful status and immigration goals. Here are some ways that Getachew & Ansari Immigration Attorneys, P.C. can assist you in San Jose:

  • Determining if a re-entry permit is right for you.
  • Evaluate your situation and the potential results of what you plan to do.
  • Knowing why re-entry permits are denied and how to stop it from happening to you.
  • Exploring the options for you and your situation.
  • Take care of the steps that you must take to get a re-entry permit.
  • Identifying potential issues and addressing them.
  • Representing and defending you in proceedings to determine whether you have abandoned your lawful permanent residence status.
  • Helping you if your resident alien card expires while you are abroad.

Our immigration attorney in San Jose can give you legal advice and represent you when filing for a re-entry permit. Medya Ansari is an experienced lawyer committed to representing clients with excellence and compassion. Learn more from a skilled lawyer about how a re-entry permit can be obtained and how it can benefit your situation.

Benefits of a Re-Entry Permit for Green Card Holders

  • A re-entry permit establishes that you intend to return to the United States as a lawful permanent resident after a long absence.
  • With a valid re-entry permit, you do not need a returning resident visa.
  • Usually, a re-entry permit is good for two years.
  • A re-entry permit can help you travel if you do not have a passport from your originating country. It depends on the country, but some countries recognize a re-entry permit as a main travel document.
  • Even if you are not leaving for a year or more, a re-entry permit can help preserve your resident status if you have frequent absences.

A re-entry permit is often the best course of action if you anticipate an extended absence from the United States. As your lawyer, we evaluate the entire situation to determine your options and how to protect your interests.

Protecting your rights and legal status

If you are a green card holder in the United States, there may be reasons that you need to leave. You may need to visit family members or take care of personal business. You should be allowed to travel. The re-entry permit is the document that you need to allow your travel without jeopardizing your status if you intend to stay outside of the U.S. for a longer period.

  • Without a valid re-entry permit, leaving the United States for more than one year can jeopardize your return to the United States.
  • Even if you leave for less than a year, if you become a resident of another country, USCIS may determine that you have abandoned your lawful residence status.
  • Usually, leaving for six months or less is not a problem, and you may reenter with your green card.
  • You may be inspected when you reenter for absences between six months and a year. For travel lasting more than one year, your green card alone (Form I-551) may not be enough to reenter, and you may need to apply for a returning resident visa (SB-1).

A re-entry permit can be vital to allow you to take care of your affairs and travel for leisure. The application process can be tedious and confusing, but you can have help from a lawyer.

Requirements for a Re-Entry Permit to the U.S.

Requirements for a green card holder to receive a re-entry permit include:

  • Physical presence in the United States
  • Lawful presence in the United States (it is possible to apply abroad if your biometrics have been obtained, but it is best to apply in the United States)
  • The intent for your absence from the United States to be temporary
  • Form I-131, along with supporting documents
  • Digital fingerprinting (biometrics appointment, provided in the United States at the USCIS local office before you leave)


Our experienced team of immigration attorneys can manage all the paperwork and challenges on your behalf. Book a consultation.
Contact us

Process for a Re-Entry Permit

If you are a green card holder, you may be eligible for a re-entry permit to the U.S. You must follow the process to be approved.

When should you apply for a re-entry permit to the U.S.?

You should apply for a re-entry permit to the U.S. before you leave the country. Apply at least 60 days before you plan to leave.

Can you renew a re-entry permit?

No. However, you may apply for a second re-entry permit after two years. The period is measured from when it is issued. A subsequent re-entry permit will be valid for one year instead of two.

What happens if you do not return to the United States before the re-entry permit expires?

If you do not return to the United States before the re-entry permit expires, you may apply for a returning resident visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate.

How can I get my re-entry permit fast?

It is possible to receive expedited processing of a re-entry permit. Expedited review is granted on a case-by-case basis. Some reasons for expedited review are emergencies, urgent humanitarian situations, clear USCIS errors, and government interests.

Whether or not you request expedited processing, the best way to obtain your re-entry permit is to submit a complete and accurate application to avoid delays and denial. Our law firm can assist you.

Preserving residence for naturalization

Along with assisting you with a re-entry permit, lawyer Medya Ansari can help you preserve your permanent residence for naturalization, if appropriate (Form N-470). If you anticipate an absence of one year or more, Form N-470 may be appropriate for you. You must have been a lawful permanent resident for at least one year before applying.

Do you need a re-entry permit if you are a U.S. citizen?

No. Once a U.S. citizen, you can travel like all citizens, using a U.S. passport. Citizens do not require advanced permission to leave the United States, although there may be entry requirements for the country you wish to enter. This may be an especially important reason to get a re-entry permit and preserve your residence in the United States so you may eventually seek United States citizenship.

Talk to a Lawyer in San Jose About Re-Entry Permit Services

We invite you to talk to attorney Medya Ansari about your intent to travel from the United States.

Getachew & Ansari Immigration Attorneys, P.C. is proud to represent clients in San Jose and throughout the Bay Area in immigration matters. Our law firm has been helping people like you for more than 20 years. Serving with compassion and excellence, we can help you pursue your immigration goals.

Call 408-292-7995 or message us online today.

Available 24/7

Get Help Today

Our team of experienced immigration attorneys are ready to answer your questions.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.