Marriage Immigration Lawyer in San Jose

Book a Consultation
100% Secure & Confidential
100+ Reviews

Getachew & Ansari Immigration Attorneys, P.C. is a marriage immigration lawyer in San Jose. We represent couples who are pursuing immigration to the United States through marriage. Serving our community with compassion and excellence, we are committed to your case.

San Jose Attorney for Marriage-Based Immigration

If you are seeking to bring a spouse to the United States, you want the process to be fast. You do not want delays. You do not want your case to be denied.

MARRIAGE-IMMIGRATION-LAWYER-SAN-JOSELegal representation from Getachew & Ansari Immigration Attorneys, P.C., provides you with a skilled marriage immigration lawyer capable of handling all aspects of your case.

Lawyer Medya Ansari handles immigration cases for husbands and wives. Whether your spouse is in the San Jose area or your spouse is in another country and preparing to come to the United States, a skilled immigration lawyer can assist you as early as today. Contact us.

What is marriage immigration?

Marriage immigration is when a spouse receives lawful residence status in the United States because of marriage to a citizen or current lawful resident. The spouse’s unmarried, minor children may enter the United States through marriage immigration, too.

What Can a Marriage Immigration Lawyer Do?

Here are cases we handle as a law firm assisting with marriage-based immigration:

Spouse living in the United States

Often, the spouse seeking marriage-based immigration is already living in the United States. In that case, you file Form I-130 and I-485 at the same time, seeking an Adjustment of Status. There are other documents to file, too.

We complete your documents efficiently, explain the process as we represent you, and help both spouses prepare for their interviews.

Spouse living abroad

If your spouse lives abroad, there is a different way to file for a green card and admit them to the United States. We can prepare Form I-130 and your Immigrant Electronic Visa Application (DS-260) and help the spouse prepare for an interview at the U.S. embassy.

Having a lawyer can avoid mistakes that may delay the process or result in a denial.

Marrying a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident

We represent clients where the spouse marries a U.S. citizen and where the spouse marries a lawful permanent resident. As your attorney for obtaining a green card through marriage, we can personalize our representation for your situation.

Fiancé visa (K1)

With a lawyer, you have professional help to determine if a K1 visa is right for you. Our team will explain the benefits, drawbacks, and what you need to consider for a K1 fiancé visa. We can also assist with K2 visas for minor children.

Non-immigrant visa for spouse (K3) and children (K4)

A K-3 visa allows the spouse to enter the United States while awaiting approval of their I-130 petition. We determine what requirements you must follow and where to submit your application. We can also assist children with K-4 visas.

Conditional permanent residence

If you have already been admitted to the United States as a spouse, you may have conditional permanent residence status for two years. After that, you must remove the conditions on your residence to obtain the green card for ten years. We assist clients with Form I-751 and conditional permanent residence status.

Children of marriage-based immigration

Unmarried minor children can benefit from marriage-based immigration on a derivative basis.


If you are a lawful permanent resident when you file for your spouse, and then you become a citizen, we can assist you in upgrading your spouse’s F2 second preference category to IR (immediate relative). If you are filing as an immediate relative, you must also file a separate I-130 petition for each minor children of your spouse.

Other situations and scenarios

We look for all solutions for our clients. We handle a wide variety of situations and circumstances on behalf of the people we represent.

How a Marriage Immigration Lawyer Can Assist You

We know the process

Marriage-based immigration does not have just one process for everyone to follow. What you can do – and how to do it – depends on several factors. Our team can help you evaluate your options and take the right steps.

We make the process better

There are things you can do to make the spouse immigration process faster and easier. For example, you can file for a work permit while the green card is pending (I-765). You may also file for permission (Advance Parole, Form I-131) to travel abroad while approval is pending without nullifying your green card application. With a lawyer, you have help to make the process smoother.

We take care of everything

Getting a green card for a husband or wife requires a lot of paperwork and evidence of the marital relationship. You must fill out forms and submit detailed supporting documentation. This information must be complete, and it must be accurate. Lawyer Medya Ansari can guide you through everything.

We personalize our representation

Each couple is different. Each situation is different. We stay up to date on developments in U.S. immigration law and work to personalize the service we provide for each client to optimize the success rate.


Our experienced team of immigration attorneys can manage all the paperwork and challenges on your behalf. Book a consultation.
Contact us

Marriage Immigration Process

Form I-130 — Petition for Alien Relative is the first step for a spouse to permanently live in the United States. You may also file Form I-485 concurrently if the beneficiary spouse is already present in the United States.

I-130 requires detailed supporting documents, including but not limited to:

  • Proof of identification (and name change, if applicable)
  • Petitioning spouse’s proof of citizenship or lawful residency
  • Marriage certificate (death/divorce certificates of previous spouses)
  • Beneficiary spouse’s birth certificate
  • Proof that the marriage relationship is genuine
  • Two passport-style photos
  • Filing fees

An interview is usually required. It is meant to make sure that your marriage is genuine.

Once approved, the spouse receives an immigrant visa for spouse (CR1 or IR1). The CR1 Is valid for two years, after which the spouse may apply for a 10-year green card. The immigrant spouse who has been on lawful residency for at least three years, is still married, and lives with the U.S. citizen spouse may qualify to apply for naturalization and become a U.S. citizen.

Do you automatically get a green card when you marry a U.S. citizen?

No. When you marry a U.S. citizen, you may be eligible to apply for a green card. However, there can be reasons that someone is still inadmissible. If you qualify, you must apply.

Legal Help in San Jose for Marriage-Based Immigration

Getachew & Ansari Immigration Attorneys, P.C. is currently accepting new cases for spousal immigration. A lawyer can start working on your case today. Call 408-292-7995 or message us online for help from an experienced marriage immigration lawyer.

Available 24/7

Get Help Today

Our team of experienced immigration attorneys are ready to answer your questions.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.