Adjustment of Status Lawyer in San Jose

Book a Consultation
100% Secure & Confidential
100+ Reviews

Get help from an adjustment of status lawyer in San Jose at Getachew & Ansari Immigration Attorneys, P.C. We provide quality legal advice, and we can take care of everything needed for your case.

Attorney Medya Ansari serves San Jose, CA, and the Bay Area. Our law firm has more than two decades of experience helping people reach their immigration goals. We are committed to your success.

How an Adjustment of Status Attorney Can Help

Through immigration legal services, we change lives. Here are some ways we can help as an adjustment of status attorney.

We know the law.

Success in immigration begins with knowing the law. Procedures for immigration change frequently. Our team stays up to date with what you need to know and what to do for your case.

We know the options.

For a few reasons, adjusting status is the preferred way to pursue immigration in some cases. It can be done from the United States. You may even receive employment authorization and approval to travel during the pendency of your Green Card application. As you determine how to proceed, we can explain what you need to know and the options available to you.

We take care of everything.

As an adjustment of status lawyer in San Jose, we take care of the many things needed for your case. We are passionate about using our skills and drive to assist our clients. You can leave the stress to us, and we can handle all the details of your case.

Form I-485 is 20 pages long! The form asks detailed questions about your personal background, work history, family, and other topics that have important legal implications. A mistake or incomplete information may result in delays or a denial that you are not expecting.

Plus, you need supporting documentation. As an experienced immigration lawyer for adjustment of status in San Jose, we take care of this paperwork and assist through the entire process.

USCIS has the discretion to decide who receives adjustment of status. That makes it important to have an experienced adjustment of status lawyer to assist you with this important step.

What Does It Mean to Adjust Immigration Status?

Adjusting immigration status means changing from having a visa to having a green card. It means changing the grounds you have to be lawfully present as an immigrant to the United States.

Adjusting your status as an immigrant may allow you to receive a Green Card and permission to stay in the United States indefinitely, subject to renewal, and it may give you a path to U.S. citizenship.

Grounds to Adjust Immigration Status

  • Immediate relative of a U.S. citizen
  • Spouse of a U.S. citizen who becomes a widow(er)
  • Other relatives based on family preference categories
  • Entry on a K-1/K-2 fiancé visa
  • VAWA self-petition because of family violence
  • Investor in the economy (I-526) or skilled worker (I-140)
  • Religious workers
  • Special immigrant juveniles
  • Certain foreign nationals, international broadcasters, and international organization members
  • Asylum, refugee, human trafficking, or victims of certain crimes

If you do not qualify to adjust your immigration status, you may qualify to extend your visa or receive a different visa. As your lawyer, we look for all possibilities and solutions.


Our experienced team of immigration attorneys can manage all the paperwork and challenges on your behalf. Book a consultation.
Contact us

The I-485 Change of Status Application

To apply to adjust your immigration status, you must complete and submit Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. The form asks for detailed personal information and your immigration history. If you choose our law firm as your attorney, we complete the form and present the best case strategy and a compelling case on your behalf.

When applying for adjustment of status, you will need to provide your I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, or proof of your admission into the U.S. You were probably issued a Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record when you arrived in the United States. Customs and Border Protection would have issued it.

The date that your authorized stay expires is stated on the I-94 card and/or the admission entry stamp on your passport. Sometimes, Form I-94 is issued electronically. If necessary, your lawyer can help you get a paper version of the electronic form.

In addition, you must submit supporting documents, and a medical exam and interview may be required. When Medya Ansari is your lawyer, our law firm will help you prepare and explain what to expect.

Who qualifies for adjustment of status?

A person may qualify for adjustment of status if:

  • They came to the United States with a valid document.
  • They have a visa.
  • No grounds for ineligibility exist.
  • The applicant possesses a good moral character.
  • The applicant meets the standards to adjust their status and get a Green Card.

How long does adjustment of status take?

Adjustment of status typically takes 8–24 months. The timeline varies depending on the type of case, how many applications are received, and whether your application is complete. That makes it especially important to have legal help to avoid delays.

Can I stay in the U.S. while my adjustment of status is pending?

Yes. If you are already lawfully present in the United States, you can stay while your I-485 adjustment of status application is pending.

What if I am not in the U.S.? Can I adjust my status, then?

If you are not in the United States, you must use consular processing to get a Green Card or immigrant visa.

When can I adjust my lawful immigration status?

When a person can adjust their lawful immigration status depends on their status and what they are adjusting for. For example, if you are adjusting because you have experienced family violence, the waiting period would depend on whether your abuser was a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident.

Talk to a Lawyer for Adjustment of Status in the U.S.

Each immigration case is unique. At Getachew & Ansari Immigration Attorneys, P.C., we are an experienced team of professionals. We represent our clients with compassion and excellence.

Getachew & Ansari Immigration Attorneys, P.C. represents clients in the San Jose, CA region, the Bay Area, and anywhere that you may be located.

To talk to a lawyer and get help today, contact our adjustment of status lawyer, Medya Ansari. Reach out online or call our offices at 408-292-7995.

Available 24/7

Get Help Today

Our team of experienced immigration attorneys are ready to answer your questions.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.