Green Card Immigration Lawyer in San Jose

Book a Consultation
100% Secure & Confidential
100+ Reviews

Attorney Medya Ansari is a green card immigration lawyer serving San Jose and the Bay Area. We represent people obtaining, renewing, and keeping their green cards.

Getachew & Ansari Immigration Attorneys, P.C. can assist you with green card matters and all your immigration goals. Contact us today.

Help from a Green Card Attorney in San Jose

Evaluate your options

san jose green card lawyer

With a green card attorney, you can get legal advice that is personal for your situation. We know the law and how the green card process works. Immigration laws are very fluid, and things change frequently. We make sure to know all the latest developments and changes in laws, policies, and procedures. We can learn about your situation and provide legal counsel.

Get your green card

We are a full-service immigration law firm in San Jose. Our experienced team prepares your documents, answers your questions, and gives you clear instructions about what you need to do.

We know how important your green card is for your right to live lawfully in the United States. Let us take care of everything needed to get your green card.

Renew your green card

Whether you are granted lawful permanent residence status or conditional permanent residence, your green card must be renewed, or the conditions on your conditional residence must be removed. As your representative, we handle the process efficiently and address any problems that may arise.

Keep your green card

Certain actions may result in the loss of a green card. We can explain things that may affect your green card and how to avoid putting your status at risk. If you are facing the loss of your green card status, we can help you respond.

Can an Immigration Lawyer Help Me Get a Green Card?

You can have a lawyer for all aspects of getting a green card. At Getachew & Ansari Immigration Attorneys, P.C., we know all the latest developments to put you in the best position to pursue your green card. An experienced, competent immigration lawyer can provide legal counsel, prepare documents, and handle all tasks on your behalf.

Should I get a lawyer to help me with a green card?

It is time-consuming and difficult to get a green card on your own. There is a lot of paperwork to complete, and mistakes can result in unexpected delays or denial of your case.

Getting your green card is one of the most important things you will ever do. Having a lawyer ensures that you have professional representation to help you with this life-changing process.


Our experienced team of immigration attorneys can manage all the paperwork and challenges on your behalf. Book a consultation.
Contact us

Types of Green Card Cases We Handle

Here are examples of cases green card attorney Medya Ansari may assist you with:

Family-based immigration

Family-based immigration is the most common way to get a green card. You may qualify if you are a spouse, child, or parent of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.

There are no caps or limits for those who fall under immediate relatives — anyone who qualifies may receive a green card. Others who fall under second or third-preference relatives may receive a visa when it is available based on family preference.

Removing conditions for CPR

If you enter the United States with conditional permanent residence, you must file to remove the conditions. We can help you to file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.

Let us explain if you meet the conditions and file on your behalf. We assist adults and children with addressing conditional green cards. We can even help discuss your options if you are experiencing family problems and worried about being able to remove the conditions of your green card independently.

Fiancé visas

If you enter with a fiancé visa and then get married within 90 days of entering the U.S., you must adjust your status by filing Form I-485. Children who enter with a fiancé visa as a dependent also need their visas adjusted. We can help you with this important step.

Special Immigrants

The United States recognizes several categories of special immigrants that may qualify for green cards. These include religious workers, special immigrant juveniles, Afghanistan or Iraq nationals of service to the U.S. government, international broadcasters, and employees of certain international organizations.

Humanitarian, asylum, and refugee

Those who have experienced human trafficking (T nonimmigrant visa) or crime (U nonimmigrant visa) may qualify to receive a green card. In addition, those with asylum or refugee status may apply for a green card after some time.

Diversity lottery

Registration for the Diversity Immigrant Visa (DV) program is restricted to a certain time each year. We help people participate in the lottery and, if successful, move forward in the visa program.

Most lottery winners are outside the United States and proceed through consular processing. A small number of people are already in the United States and need to adjust their status to receive their green card. Whatever your situation, we can help you find the best option and solve your immigration problems.

Green Cards: Benefits and Requirements

Being a green card holder comes with certain benefits. There are also certain requirements to keep your status.

What are the benefits of having a green card?

When you have a green card, you may:

  • Live in the United States
  • Travel within the United States and internationally
  • Receive protection from deportation, except if you lose residency by committing a certain crime(s) or other violation
  • Sponsor family members to enter the United States
  • Work without needing a work permit
  • Access financial aid for education
  • Get a driver’s license
  • Enjoy the protection of the U.S. laws
  • Qualify for U.S. citizenship after three or five years of physical and continuous presence in the United States.

With a green card, you are not a visitor – you are a resident of the United States.

What are the requirements to keep a green card?

If you have a green card, you must:

  • Renew it when required, or it will expire
  • Petition to remove conditions on residence if your green card is conditional
  • File income tax returns and pay taxes
  • Comply with laws, including federal, state, and local laws
  • Register for the Selective Service (males ages 18-25)
  • Carry your green card in your possession at all times
  • Maintain physical and continuous residency in the United States

You may use your green card as proof of employment eligibility and to apply for a driver’s license.

Green Card FAQs

How many years do you have to be in the United States to get a green card?

You can receive your green card before you enter the United States, or you may enter using a visa and then transition to a green card. If you enter using a visa, the period to transition to a green card varies depending on the type of visa. For example, a person entering on a fiancé visa may remain for 90 days, but you can file for a green card as soon as you get married.

What is the fastest way to get a green card?

The fastest way to get a green card depends on your situation. Most marriage-based green cards start with two years of conditional permanent residence status, including for dependent stepchildren. However, there are some circumstances where the two-year wait does not apply, like when you have already been married for two years or if there are reasons to waive the waiting period, like family violence.

Can green card holders vote?

No. Green card holders are not eligible to vote. However, you may vote if you become a U.S. citizen.

Do green card holders get U.S. passports?

No. Green card holders cannot get a U.S. passport. They must use their home country’s passport or refugee/asylee travel documents to travel outside the U.S. However, they can use their green card to re-enter the United States. The re-entry process may be more challenging if they leave for six months or more. Talk to a lawyer in advance if you anticipate an extended absence.

Can I sponsor my green card?

There are some circumstances in which a person can self-petition for a green card. If you qualify for self-petition, you do not need a sponsor. Circumstances in which you may sponsor your own green card include if your American spouse has died, you are an asylee or refugee, VAWA violence petitions, extraordinary ability, and investment in the economy.

How long is a green card good for?

Most green cards are good for ten years. If you have a conditional permanent resident status, your green card is valid for two years, and you must file for removal of condition, Form I-751, prior to its expiration. Your expiration date can be found on your green card.

Do I have to become a U.S. citizen after I have a green card for five years?

No. Becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen is voluntary.

What is the difference between a visa and a green card?

A visa is permission for a short visit to the United States. A green card allows you to stay permanently, subject to renewal. With a green card, you may qualify to pursue U.S. citizenship if you choose.

Contact a Green Card Attorney

The first step to having legal help with your green card is to talk to a lawyer. When you contact attorney Medya Ansari, our team gets to know you so that we can give you advice for your situation.

Here are some reasons that people choose Getachew & Ansari Immigration Attorneys, P.C. as their green card lawyer in San Jose:

  • We represent clients in San Jose, CA, and beyond. We can assist you wherever you are located.
  • Our clients are diverse. Whatever your nationality or country of origin, we are honored to assist you.
  • Twenty years of experience. Our law firm has been helping people like you for more than two decades. We are proud of our legacy and commitment to helping our clients.
  • Help with everything. When we represent you, we take care of everything. We prepare the paperwork. If there are things you need to do, we give you clear instructions.
  • We Identify any issues. You do not want something unexpected to stand in the way of getting your green card. We identify what is important in your case.
  • Personalized consultations and representation. You may be looking for a consultation about what to do in your case. You may want representation through the legal steps. Whatever you are looking for, we can help you with compassion and excellence.
  • Care and excellence. We truly care about your immigration journey. It is our goal to serve our community with excellent legal services.

We speak English, Spanish, Amharic, Farsi, and Dari. We represent people all over the world in diverse situations. If you are considering getting a green card or if you are ready for legal assistance, it would be our honor to be your green card immigration lawyer.

Contact us online or call 408-292-7995 to schedule your consultation.

Available 24/7

Get Help Today

Our team of experienced immigration attorneys are ready to answer your questions.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.